Edibles are a popular form of medical marijuana that allows you to reap the benefits of cannabis without having to smoke or vape. But, are medical marijuana edibles permitted under Florida law? Keep reading to find out.
Are Medical Marijuana Edibles Available in Florida?
The simple answer to this question is yes: Edibles are legal under Florida state law for patients with a valid medical marijuana card. Smoking medical cannabis became legal in Florida in 2019, while edible medical cannabis became legal in the summer of 2020. Like other forms of cannabis, edibles are illegal for recreational use in Florida.
Florida’s law outlines specific regulations for medical marijuana edibles, including:
- Edibles may only be produced by licensed Medical Marijuana Treatment Centers (MMTCs) at facilities approved by Florida’s Office of Medical Marijuana Use (OMMU).
- Edibles can’t look like or be easily mistaken for commercially-available candy or feature graphics or images besides the OMMU’s universal symbol for products containing THC.
- Edibles may be sold in single-serve or multi-serving packages, with one dose containing no more than 10 milligrams of THC.
- Edibles must have a printed expiration date and can’t require refrigeration (even after opening).
Are Medical Marijuana Edibles Right For You?
Medical marijuana edibles can provide the same benefits for chronic pain, neurological pain, poor appetite, and insomnia as other forms of cannabis. However, opting for edibles can also provide unique benefits, including:
- Greater potency
Since edibles pass through the digestive system, they’re processed in a way that increases the THC’s potency.
- Longer-lasting effects
Edibles require more time to take effect than smoking or vaping marijuana. But, as a result, they produce stronger, longer-lasting effects. In fact, the effects of medical marijuana edibles typically last for six to eight hours.
- No respiratory complications
Though smoking medical marijuana presents a far lower risk of respiratory problems than smoking tobacco, it may still present the risk of airway inflammation and related issues. By opting for edibles, you can entirely avoid the risk of respiratory complications.
The experts at Tetra Holistic Care can help determine if medical marijuana edibles may benefit your treatment plan. Reach out to us today to request an appointment!